New Jersey Fatal Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Legal Help After a Pedestrian Accident Death
If your loved one has been killed in a pedestrian accident, it is important that you do not accept an insurance company settlement as compensation for your loss without consulting a New Jersey personal injury lawyer. A sudden death in a family can be devastating not only emotionally, but also financially. This is especially true if the deceased is a primary or sole wage earner in the family. Not only are family members grieving an irreparable loss, but they are also struggling to deal with medical expenses and funeral and burial costs, which can add up quickly.
An insurance company does not care about your family's welfare or your losses. They will try to offer you the least amount of compensation possible so they can make your claim go away quickly. During such a challenging time, you need an experienced New Jersey wrongful death attorney on your side, who has successfully handled fatal pedestrian accident cases. If you are looking for quality legal representation, please contact Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. at (609) 240-0040. We are here to help you.
Pedestrian Fatality Verdicts and Settlements
- $875,000 - The estate of pedestrian struck and killed by automobile
- $500,000 - Awarded to the Estate of a Pennington woman who succumbed to injuries sustained in a collision with a Toyota Corolla.
Please note that each case is unique. To learn more about what your case may be worth, please schedule a free consultation with us today. Click here for more verdicts and settlements.
What Causes Fatal Pedestrian Accidents?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,743 pedestrians were killed in car accidents nationwide in the year 2012. That accounts for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities that year and a 6 percent increase from the year before. In New Jersey, 156 pedestrians were killed in 2012 accounting for 26.5 percent of traffic fatalities statewide. This means that pedestrians are disproportionately killed in New Jersey traffic collisions.
A number of pedestrian accidents in New Jersey are the result of driver negligence. Common forms of driver negligence that can lead to a fatal crash include:
- Excessive speed: There is a direct correlation between the speed of the vehicle at the time of the crash and the severity of the injuries suffered by the pedestrian. Pedestrians are much more likely to suffer fatal injuries if the driver is speeding.
- Impairment: Drivers who are impaired by drugs or alcohol are more likely to cause a fatal pedestrian crash.
- Inattention: Drivers must keep their eyes on the roadway and their attention on the task at hand. Motorists who are looking at their phone or are otherwise distracted can easily overlook a pedestrian or drive through a crosswalk.
- Violation of laws: Drivers who violate the rules of the road put pedestrians at great risk. For example, one of the most common violations in New Jersey on the part of drivers is failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks. This happens for a variety of reasons ranging from impairment and inattention to recklessness.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in New Jersey
If your loved one was killed in a pedestrian accident caused by negligence, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault parties. These civil claims, are usually filed by family members or survivors of the decedent who were dependent on the victim financially. Therefore, survivors can seek monetary compensation for damages including medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, lost future income, pain and suffering and loss of love and companionship.
Some of the liable parties in a pedestrian accident wrongful death claim include the driver, his or her employer (if he was on the job at the time of the collision), or a governmental entity that was in charge of maintaining a dangerous or defective roadway/intersection. The skilled NJ wrongful death lawyer at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. can assist with reviewing your case and providing you with the guidance and representation you need in order to receive just compensation for your losses. Please contact us at (609) 240-0040 to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.
today for help
- Deadly Car Accidents
- Fatal Motorcycle Accident
- Truck Accident Wrongful Death
- Pedestrian Accident Wrongful Death
- Fatal Bike Collision
- Fatal Bus Accidents
- Dangerous Defective Products
- Deadly Nursing Home Abuse
- Fatal Construction Accident
- Fatal Dog Bite
- Fatal Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death on the Job
- What are Wrongful Death Damages?
- Different Categories of Damages
- How to Hire a Wrongful Death Attorney