Slip and Fall Wrongful Death Attorneys in NJ
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
Representing Families After a Fatal Fall Accident
Unfortunately, thousands of people die each year due to injuries related to slip, trip, and fall accidents. While many of these slip, trip, and fall deaths are caused by bad luck or inattention, most of these tragic losses are caused by the negligence of property managers or owners. Any time a property manager or owner fails to provide a safe environment for people visiting their property, they can held responsible for the damages and losses they caused.
If you've lost a loved one in a New Jersey slip, trip, and fall accident, Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. can help. We know how deeply the loss in a wrongful death can effect a family. Let us help you get the settlement you need to heal and move on. Contact us today at (609) 240-0040.
Premises Liability in Slip and Fall Wrongful Deaths
A property manager or owner has a legal responsibility to maintain the safe condition of their property for visitors. If a property manager or owner's negligent, careless, or reckless regard for the safety of others leads to your loved one's death, you may be able to bring a wrongful death claim against the responsible party. If you can prove that the property manager or owner's negligence was the direct cause of the injuries that led to your loved one's death, you can bring a lawsuit against them. Your claim can seek damages to pay for your loved ones medical bills, lost earning potential, and pain and suffering.
Damages in a Slip and Fall Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim lets a victim's surviving family members seek compensation for losses related the victim's death from the responsible party. The New Jersey Wrongful Death Act (N.J.S.A. 2A:31-4) and the New Jersey Survival Act (N.J.S.A. 2A:31-1) outline both economic and non-economic damages a wrongful death lawsuit can pursue:
- Economic damages: these include lost wages, lost future wages, funeral and burial expenses, and household services (love, affection, etc.) the victim would have provided.
- Non-economic damages: these are more emotional losses, like losing the victims' love, companionship, guidance, and moral support.
Top Causes of Slip and Fall Wrongful Deaths
Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has helped many families grieving after a death related to a slip, trip, and fall accident. Here are the most common causes of these deaths we've seen:
- Unmarked stairs
- Cracks in sidewalks/driveways
- Cluttered/slippery walkways
- Icy surfaces
- Poor lighting
- Changes in floor level and floor surface
- Loose/unsecured rugs
- Hazards in walkways
Frightening Slip and Fall Wrongful Death Facts
Slip, trip, and fall accidents are the second leading cause of accidental death in America, trailing only automobile accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents account for nearly 20,000 wrongful deaths annually
- Nearly 2,000 elderly people die from slip, trip, and fall accidents annually
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents account for about 15 percent of workplace deaths
- Falls to a lower level at a construction site lead to a third of all workplace deaths annually
- About half of all accidental deaths that happen at home are caused by slips, trips, and falls
- 20 percent of all accidental deaths of people over the age of 60 involve slip, trip, and fall accidents
- 70 percent of all slip, trip, and fall accidental death victims are over the age of 75
- Accidental falls are the second leading cause of injury related death for people aged 65-84
- Accidental falls are the leading cause of injury related death for people over age 85
Contact Our NJ Attorneys Today
Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has guided many families to successful wrongful death claims. We've helped many grieving people get the financial help they needed to heal and move on from their losses. If you've lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, you need an experienced New Jersey wrongful death lawyers on your side. You can reach us today at (609) 240-0040.
- Falls Are Leading Cause of Injury and Death in Older Americans - CDC
- Construction's "Fatal Four" Statistics - OSHA
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.