Top 5 Worst Culprits of Slip and Falls in NJ
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
All New Jersey property owners have a legal responsibility to provide reasonably safe conditions for their visitors, residents, and guests. When they fail to keep their property safe, dangerous slip and fall accidents can occur. Attentive and responsible property owners can reduce the number of fall-related accidents on their premises by keeping walkways clear and dry and by posting warning signs around hazardous conditions.
Worst Culprits of Slip and Falls
A typical slip and fall incident results in a minor contusion and a moderate amount of embarrassment. There are cases, however, in which a slip and fall accident can result in sprains, strains, bone fractures, neck injuries, or even brain trauma. When someone requires medical treatment, it must be determined what caused the accident and if the property owner could have prevented the incident. Some of the most common culprits of slip and fall incidents include the following:
- Wet surfaces: it is easy to slip and fall on floors that are wet. All property owners must keep hard surfaces dry and they must post warning signs around wet areas. Areas that are particularly prone to wet conditions include entrances where there is foot traffic and store aisles where liquid products are most likely to be spilled.
- Dangerous staircases: Stairs are where some of the most serious injury slip and fall accidents occur. All staircases must have adequate railings and marked steps. Stairs should have surfaces that are easy to grip and damaged staircases must be labeled as such right away. Broken stairs must be fixed right away.
- Cluttered walkways: Keeping the floor free of debris can prevent tripping accidents.
- Icy sidewalks: Property owners also have a legal obligation to keep the pathways and walkways leading up to their premises clear of ice and snow.
- Uneven surfaces: Cracked floors, torn carpets, and uneven floors are major culprits when it comes to trip-and-fall accidents and must be fixed as soon as possible.
NJ Premises Liability Claims
Victims of slip and falls may seek support for their suffering by filing a claim against the property owner. In order to have a successful claim, slip and fall victims must prove that the property owner was aware of the hazardous condition that contributed to the incident.
At Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., we know how to help victims of falling accidents get the support they need. We understand that these types of accidents can result in significant injuries. If you wish to pursue your legal rights, please contact our New Jersey personal injury attorneys at (609) 240-0040 for a free and comprehensive consultation.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.