Road Rash Injury Lawyers in New Jersey
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
Legal Help for Victims of Serious Skin Abrasions and Degloving
Without having the shield of a car to protect them, motorcyclists are left extremely vulnerable every time they hit the open road. This is why a biker will often sustain a wide range of injuries in a motorcycle accident.
One of the most common and agonizing types of injuries riders endure is road rash. It can be as minor as a surface skin abrasion or as serious as a burn that removes several layers of skin and leaves nerve endings exposed. In severe cases, road rash can result in permanent scarring and disfigurement.
If you or a loved one was involved in an incident that led to significant road-rash injuries because of someone else’s negligence, it’s important to call a New Jersey motorcycle accident lawyer to see what your options are for recovering damages. Our experienced attorneys at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., understand the ins and outs of these kinds of cases and can provide effective counsel after evaluating your particular situation.
Experiencing Road Rash in a Motorcycle Accident
When an impact is hard enough to throw a motorcyclist from his bike, the biker frequently skids along the rough surface of the ground before coming to a stop. This is typically when road rash occurs. The friction between ground and body will cause the skin to rub off, sometimes in layers, even if the rider is wearing the proper protective gear. Though it can appear on any part of the body, the arms, legs, and hands are usually affected the most.
There are three different degrees of road rash that a victim may suffer:
- First degree: This is when redness and minor scrapes are present. Though the area should be kept cleaned and covered, it’s not likely that medical treatment will be necessary.
- Second degree: This level of road rash is diagnosed when the first layer of skin is broken but everything underneath remains intact. Again, this will usually heal on its own and just requires close monitoring.
- Third degree: The most severe type of road rash is when every layer of the skin has been removed and the fat, tissue, and bone are left visible. Motorcyclists who have this kind of road rash may also experience degloving, which is when the muscles, tendons, and nerves are pulled away from the bone, along with the skin and the blood flow to the surrounding tissue being disturbed.
Road Rash or Degloving Treatment
Treatment for road rash will depend on the severity of the injury. The more serious the wound, the more likely it will be necessary for the victim to undergo long-term treatment. This may include physical therapy, repeated skin grafts, and other surgeries. When a road rash doesn’t receive the right medical care, the risk of infection and scarring increases considerably.
Degloving cannot be fixed; it’s possible the affected body part may need to be amputated.
Common Challenges Involved in Pursuing Compensation
Oftentimes, the biggest challenge in obtaining compensation for a road rash case is showing that the motorcyclist took precautions to protect him or herself from injury. This generally means verifying that he or she was wearing the appropriate attire to minimize the chances of getting road rash. Gathering and presenting evidence that the collision was a result of someone else’s negligence is where a New Jersey motorcycle accident attorney will play a vital role in the outcome of a case.
Seek Representation from a New Jersey Motorcycle Injury Lawyer
At Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., our New Jersey motorcycle accident lawyers provide road rash victims with the sound legal advice and personalized representation they need at such a difficult time. We are committed to helping clients secure the restitution they deserve for their injuries. Contact our office at (609) 240-0040 to schedule a consultation.
- Injuries Suffered in NJ Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Injuries Suffered in New Jersey Motorcycle Accidents
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.