The Most Common Causes of Wrongful Death Claims
Wrongful death cases are some of the toughest we handle. These claims are brought when someone dies because of the negligent actions of a person or company. In these situations, a wrongful death claim can help surviving family members seek compensation for their loss and help with future finances. Compensation can be pursued to help pay for medical expenses, funeral expenses, loss of income, loss of future income, and pain and suffering.
But, what is a wrongful death suit? Anytime someone dies as a result of one of the following, a wrongful death claim can be filed:
- The victim’s death was caused by someone (or entity’s) actions, or lack of actions.
- There are surviving family members who depended on the victim for love and support.
- There was a financial loss (medical bills, funeral expenses, lost income) because of the victim’s death.
If your situation meets these criteria, you might have a valid wrongful death claim. Contact an experienced attorney to discuss your next steps.
Common Wrongful Death Claim Causes
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: This is easily the most common wrongful death cause. There are over 30,000 traffic accident deaths each year in the U.S. These are often caused by people driving under the influence, distracted, or fatigued.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians are often killed when involved in car accidents. There are about 4,000 pedestrian deaths each year in the U.S. This averages out to one person dying from getting hit by a car every 2 hours. Reckless driving and people walking outside crosswalks are the most common causes of these accidents.
- Medical malpractice: No matter how much we trust nurses and doctors, they make mistakes. Unfortunately, medical errors often result in patient deaths. The Journal of the American Medical Association listed medical malpractice as America’s third leading cause of death, after heart disease and cancer. Most medical malpractice claims involve misdiagnosis, failure to diagnose a health problem, surgery errors, and treatment errors.
- Workplace accidents: There are many jobs, especially in construction and labor, that are dangerous. Workplace accidents can actually happen anywhere, even in a safe looking office. A trip and fall, a car work-related car accident, or being exposed to dangerous chemicals have all led to workplace deaths.
The New Jersey wrongful death attorneys at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. have handled many of these difficult cases. We’ve helped many families secure a settlement that’s helped them move forward with their lives. Contact us today at (609) 240-0040.
today for help