Tips for Elderly People to Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents
As we age, our coordination and strength deteriorates. Activities that once were easy and safe can become dangerous. Trips, slips and falls result in thousands of unintentional deaths each year, and they often occur in the home. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2010 there were 2.3 million nonfatal fall injuries among the elderly resulting in over 662,000 hospitalizations. Nearly a third of all falls among adults aged 65 and older result in head trauma, head lacerations and hip fractures.
Here are a few tips for elderly people to avoid slip-and-fall accidents:
- Install handrails on both sides of every stairway, large and small
- Attach treads to steps to increase traction
- Place non-skid mats in showers, bathtubs and other slippery areas
- Remove clutter from walkways that can pose a tripping hazard
- Consider removing rugs that can bunch up
- Install grab bars on both sides of toilets and bathtubs
- Discuss your medication intake with your doctor to determine if your dosage effects your risk of falling
- Wear sensible shoes that can increase your stability
- Add lighting to your living spaces, which will help you see clearly
Keeping your body healthy can also help you have better strength and balance. It is advisable for all seniors to take up daily physical activities such as walking and stretching. Having a regular routine will keep the muscles strong and limber. If it is becoming too difficult to walk regularly, physical therapy may be needed to regain strength and mobility.
Of course, not all slip-and-fall accidents happen at the home. Some falling accidents are the direct result of dangerous conditions on sidewalks and wet floors in stores. When this occurs, it must be determined if the property owner’s negligence contributed to the fall. In such cases, financial support may be available for the victim’s medical bills and other injury-related expenses. If you have been hurt in a New Jersey slip-and-fall accident, please contact the experienced attorneys at Lependorf & Silverstein for a free, comprehensive and confidential consultation.
today for help