Motorcycle Maintenance Summer Prep
Summer is the ideal time to hit the open road on the back of a motorcycle. There’s nothing quite like feeling the sunshine on your face while indulging in the thrill and adventure. However, before you hop on and take off, it’s important to make sure your bike is properly prepared to safely navigate the streets for the duration of riding season. Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to suffering severe injuries, which makes it crucial that you take special care to avoid preventable incidents.
Our New Jersey personal injury lawyers at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., have put together some maintenance tips that every rider should follow prior to hitting the pavement this summer.
Motorcycle Maintenance Tips
Taking the following steps will help ensure your motorcycle is in optimal riding condition and protect you from ending up stranded or getting into a collision due to faulty parts.
- Inspect the battery: If your bike was stored with the battery left inside, you will need to give it a full charge and make sure it still works. If it’s unable to hold a charge, it will have to be replaced.
- Check the fluids: It’s always best to start with a fresh oil change to prevent the possibility of engine damage. Check the rest of the fluid levels as well, and look for any evidence of leaks.
- Examine your tires: Examine your tires for cracks in the rubber, puncture holes, and flat spots. If everything looks good, make sure the tire pressure is where it should be and inflate the tires if it’s not.
- Assess the frame, suspension, and steering: Carefully assess the bike’s frame and handlebars for hairline cracks, and lubricate the cable connections and bearings. Also, tighten the nuts and fasteners as necessary.
- Try out the brakes: Brakes are a crucial safety component. Look for signs of wear on the brake pads, and check for cracks or leaks in the brake lines. Clean the rotors, and lubricate the throttle cables and brake hand lever.
Consult a New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyer After an Accident
Despite your attempts to do everything right and be as safe as possible, there is still the possibility of getting into an accident due to the negligence of another motorist. If you find yourself or a loved one in this type of situation, don’t hesitate to speak with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. We can answer questions about motorcycle accidents. We will thoroughly go over your case to determine your right to seek compensation for damages. Contact us at (609) 240-0040 for more information.
today for help