Broken Bone Injuries Commonly Suffered in New Jersey Motorcycle Accidents
Summer is here, and for many people, hitting the open road on a motorcycle is the best way to enjoy the natural beauty of the Garden State. Riding a bike in the open air is about freedom, individuality, and a lifestyle that typifies the American spirit. But there is an inherent risk when riding a motorcycle, and as an increasing number of individuals ride motorcycles for recreation, there is an increasing number of Americans getting injured – sometimes fatally.
In a car-vs.-motorcycle type of accident, the motorcycle almost always loses. Motorcyclist fatalities had been declining since the early 1980s but beginning in 1998, there began to be an increase that continued through 2008. While not all motorcycle accidents result in death, many motorcyclists involved in collisions suffer life-altering injuries that include a variety of bone fractures.
The type of break and its severity greatly affects the treatment and recovery process. There are five distinct types of bone fractures that a victim can suffer in a motorcycling accident:
- Open fracture:This is when a bone breaks in such a way that bone fragments stick out through the skin or a wound penetrates down to the broken bone. In open fractures, there is an increased risk of a deep bone infection.
- Closed fracture:This is a break or crack in the bone that does not puncture the skin but sometimes causes injury to tissues in the area.
- Comminuted fracture:This is a break or splinter of the bone into more than two fragments. These types of fractures occur as a result of high impact trauma.
- Displaced fracture: This is a traumatic bone break in which two ends of the bone are separated and moved out of their normal positions. The bone may puncture the skin or remain contained within the skin.
- Non-displaced fracture:In these cases, the bone is cracked but maintains positioning.
A Princeton motorcycle accident is almost certain to result in injuries that lead to massive medical costs and extensive treatment and recovery. The victim may experience injuries that cause significant financial stress due to the inability to work, physical and emotional pain and suffering, and an overall sense of loss of self that affects the victim and his or her loved ones. If this has happened to you, you deserve the help of a dedicated legal team that will fight for your rights and will determine if you are entitled to compensation. Call a New Jersey motorcycle accident injury lawyer at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. today at (609) 240-0040.
today for help