Tips for Avoiding Car Accidents While Jogging
It’s pleasant outside and you have nothing pressing to do. It’s the perfect time to go for a jog and in Princeton, New Jersey, you can be pretty sure that you’ll bump into other joggers along the way. More than 57 million people in the United States jog each year. That’s a big potential for joggers and car accidents. Safety is always an issue when you’re jogging and there are important things to remember so that you can avoid injury.
Tips for Avoiding Jogger Car Accidents
- Keep your ears open: Don’t wear headphones or ear buds. This prevents you from hearing any cars approaching.
- Run against the flow of traffic: Sometimes you can’t avoid running in the streets. To minimize danger, run against the flow of traffic, this gives you more time to react to approaching vehicles.
- Pay attention to stop signs: Sometimes drivers only look one way or fail to stop altogether. Be very wary at stop signs.
If a car hits you when you’re out jogging, you can sustain serious or even fatal injuries. Common injuries include:
- Head, neck and shoulder injuries.
- Broken legs.
- Fractured hips.
- Internal injuries.
Your injuries may lead to overwhelming medical expenses, loss of work while rehabilitating, permanent pain or disability and may also affect your future ability to earn income. If your injuries were caused by a distracted or reckless driver, you may have a case for proving criminal negligence and claiming compensation. The at-fault motorist may be claiming that you were responsible for the accident, but an experienced legal team can gather evidence from a number of sources to prove your case. These sources include:
- Details from police and medical reports.
- Evidence from CCTV footage or photographs.
- Witness testimony.
- Determining how the driver was at fault (distracted, intoxicated or reckless)
If you or a family member has been injured in a jogging accident due to negligence or recklessness on the part of a motorist, it’s important that you discuss the incident with a legal specialist as soon as possible. Our New Jersey jogging accident attorneys at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. is here to help you get the compensation you deserve. You may be able to claim damages for personal injury, medical treatment, and loss of income. You do not have to know how to conduct an accident investigation to support your claim. Contact us today at (609) 240-0040 for consultation.
today for help