Girl Injured in Jersey City Hit-and-Run Accident
A girl was injured in a recent NJ pedestrian accident when she was struck and pulled under a truck that did not stop. According to The Jersey Journal, the pedestrian accident occurred on Montgomery Street near Summit Avenue in Jersey City. Officials say a 54-year-old driver of a truck turned right at the intersection, struck the girl, and continued driving. The girl was treated and discharged the next morning. The truck driver was tracked down and charged with leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, failing to report an accident, and failing to exhibit insurance documents.
If you are ever involved in an injury accident, you must remain at the crash site, offer assistance, and contact the authorities. Under New Jersey 39:4-129: “The driver of any vehicle, knowingly involved in an accident resulting in injury or death to any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible.”
If you have been injured by a hit-and-run driver, it is important that you:
- Call for help.
- Remain at the crash site.
- Write down everything you remember about the driver and the vehicle.
- Collect contact information from anyone who may have witnessed the crash.
- File a police report.
- Take photos of your injuries, the crash site, and any debris that may have fallen from the vehicle.
- Take notes regarding where the accident occurred, what you were doing, and in what direction the vehicle was headed.
- Seek medical attention that same day to document your injuries.
- Write a journal of your daily struggles since the accident.
- Keep records of your hospital bills and other related financial losses.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer.
It is not always possible to hold an at-fault driver financially accountable for the damages he or she causes. There are, however, legal options available for victims of hit-and-run drivers. A skilled New Jersey car accident attorney will stay abreast of the official investigation and make sure that you are offered fair compensation for your losses.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.