Rethink Your Commute to Work
Spring has sprung and we’ve said goodbye to the harsh New Jersey winter. This change in the weather has happened just in time for National Bike to Work Week, May 15th through the 19th. Bike to Work Week is part of National Bike Month and it culminates with National Bike to Work Day on Friday of this week (the 19th).The idea behind both Bike to Work Week and Day is to promote bicycle commuting as a healthy, planet-friendly alternative to driving to work. But why would you trade your climate-controlled, stereo-equipped cocoon of a car for a bicycle and the wind in your face? Well, there are many reasons, such as:
- It’s cheaper: According to the Sierra Club, it only costs $308 a year to keep a bike in shape. That’s nearly 30 times less than the yearly upkeep on a car. Plus, think of all the money you’ll save on gas.
- It’s good exercise: Bicycle commuters lose an average of 13 pounds in the first year they start biking to work. It’s also a good cardio workout, so you can skip the treadmill at the gym.
- You won’t get stuck in traffic: Americans spend more than $700 a year burning gas while stuck in traffic.
- You’re less likely to get sick than if you take public transportation: According to the New York Daily News, public transit riders are “six times more likely to suffer from acute respiratory infections.”
- You won’t have to worry about parking: Most commercial office buildings have bike racks where you can park your bike. If not, there’s always a tree or sign post to chain your bike to.
- It’s better for the planet: It’s your chance to help cut down on greenhouse gases by not starting up the car for a short trip.
We at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., are avid bicyclists and advocates for bicycle safety. If you’ve been injured while biking to work or any other time, please call our Princeton, New Jersey offices at (609) 240-0040 for a free case evaluation.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.