League of American Bicyclists Basic Bicycle Check
The League of American Bicyclists offers the following smart cycling tips to New Jersey riders. It is the hope of the organization that New Jersey bicyclists will use these tips in order to learn more about safe bicycle riding as well as proper bicycle maintenance which enables safe riding.
Courtesy of bikeleague.org, bicyclists need only remember the “ABC QUICK CHECK” in order to be able to perform a basic bicycle safety check.
“A” stands for Air
- Make certain your bicycle’s tires have the proper recommended pressure by using a quality dial tire pressure gauge.
- Make sure the bicycle’s tires are inflated to the recommended pressure indicated on the tire sidewall.
- Depending on the age of the tires, check for dry rot and/or damage and replace the tires if damage or dry rot is found.
“B” stands for Brakes
- Make sure that your thumb will fit in between the brake lever and the handlebar when brakes are fully applied.
- Upon inspection brake pads with less than one quarter of the rubber pad left should be replaced.
- Check the adjustment of the pads, making sure they do not come into contact with the tire.
“C” stands for Chain and Cranks
- Make sure your bicycle chain is rust free.
- Try pulling the cranks away from the bicycle, and tighten if loose.
“Q” stands for Quick Releases
- All quick releases should be completely closed.
- Quick releases should always point toward the rear of the bicycle.
“C” simply stands for Check It Over
The New Jersey bicycle accident attorneys at Lependorf & Silverstein understand that in order to be safe on a bicycle, basic maintenance is vital. Our attorneys also through experience have found that in most cases, motorists who are not willing to share the road are liable for injuries suffered in bicycle accidents. They must be held accountable. Our experienced Princeton bicycle accident lawyers are here to help you obtain compensation if you have been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by a careless or negligent motorist. Call us at (609) 240-0040 to discuss your legal options free of charge.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.