Avoiding Excuses for Not Biking to Work
There are so many reasons to bike to work, yet so many excuses tend to get in the way. A minimum of 30 minutes each day of moderate physical activity has been proven through medical research to help avoid obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension, as well as improve cardio-vascular fitness and mental health.
May is National Bike Month. The Princeton bicycle accident attorneys at Lependorf and Silverstein and the League of American Bicyclists would like to offer help in avoiding excuses for not riding a bike to and from work.
The following excuses are common when employees try to find reasons not to commute via bicycle:
- Out of shape — Just ride at an easy pace to and from work during the first month or two, and soon being out of condition will not be an issue.
- Commute takes too long — Trips to and from work of less than three miles may actually be faster than taking another form of transportation. In urban areas, even trips of five to seven miles may be quicker on a bicycle.
- Distance is too great — Ride to work and then take mass transit home. Then alternate the two. Bike to the home of a colleague; then carpool the rest of the way.
- No parking for bicycles — Find storage for your bicycle somewhere inside your building or even your office.
- Job requires dressing up — Keep sets of clothing at work and take them home for cleaning on days you must drive.
- Not feeling safe — Wear bright colored clothes and a helmet. Obey all rules of the road and always ride with the flow of traffic.
At the firm of Lependorf & Silverstein, our New Jersey attorneys want you to stay safe as you commute to and from work. We know the health and environmental benefits of riding a bicycle. We also are aware that bicycle accidents do happen and are too often the fault of someone else. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of another, you need the help of our experienced NJ accident attorneys. Please call us at (609) 240-0040 for a free consultation.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.