Windsor Bike Accident Lawyers
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
Bicycle Accidents in Windsor
Cycling is an enjoyable, eco-friendly form of transportation that provides exercise in the open air. It can also be dangerous when you are sharing the road with cars, SUVs, and trucks. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Windsor, speak with an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses from the party responsible for your bike accident.
Windsor Bicycle Accidents in the News
- In February 2010, a 54-year-old East Windsor man was struck and killed by a car while riding his bike on Dutch Neck Road. The cyclist was struck from behind by a westbound vehicle and ejected from the bicycle.
- In June 2014, a collision occurred between a bicycle and a car on Alexander Road in West Windsor. The cyclist was taken to University Medical Center of Princeton for medical attention.
- In May 2016, a 49-year-old bicyclist was taken to the hospital after sustaining upper and lower body injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle in East Windsor. The driver and six passengers in the striking vehicle were uninjured. The driver failed to stop at the scene of the accident.
Bicycle Accidents Statistics in New Jersey
According to data provided by the State Police, there were 15 bicycle accident fatalities statewide in 2018. The New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety (DHTS) reports that 73 bicyclists were killed and 6,860 were injured in a recent five-year period. Of those injured cyclists, 182 suffered serious injuries and 2,619 sustained moderate injuries.
Types of Bicycle Accidents in New Jersey
Bicyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash with motor vehicles. Bicycle accidents can occur in many different ways, including the following:
- Left-hand turn bicycle accidents: This type of crash occurs when a motor vehicle making a left-hand turn collides with a cyclist. Drivers focused on oncoming traffic and executing a left-hand turn fail to register the bicycle in the roadway until it is too late.
- Right hook bicycle accidents: Bicyclists are expected to travel as far over in the right-hand lane as possible. Motorists who fail to check before turning or fail to yield the right-of-way frequently collide with bicyclists in this position.
- Dooring accidents:This type of accident is more common in crowded areas with heavier traffic. It occurs when a driver or passenger exiting a vehicle opens a door directly into the path of an oncoming bicycle. In this situation, a bicyclist may swerve to avoid the door and be hit by a passing car. A cyclist who has no time to respond and crashes into the car door can be ejected from the bike and launched into the road.
- Hit and run bicycle accidents: Hit and run accidents involving bicyclists are common. In many cases, they are caused by drivers who are distracted or under the influence of alcohol or drugs and flee the scene for fear of the consequences. Bicyclists can suffer serious injuries when drivers fail to stop and assist, as required by law.
Who Is Legally Responsible for Bicycle Accidents in Windsor?
Many bicycle accidents are caused by negligent drivers. In such cases, the motorist who caused the crash is liable for resulting injuries and damages. For example, a driver executing a left-hand turn who collides with a bicyclist who had the right-of-way is likely to be liable for the accident. The same applies to a driver turning right who collides with a bicyclist traveling straight through the intersection.
Why You Need a Lawyer
If you have been seriously injured in a Windsor bicycle accident, you will need to be compensated for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. You need this compensation to help you deal with the physical, emotional, and financial challenges caused by the crash. An experienced New Jersey personal injury lawyer will have the knowledge, skills, and resources to pursue the recompense you deserve.
Why Choose Us?
Our New Jersey personal injury attorneys are avid bicyclists and tough advocates for cyclists injured because of someone else’s negligence. Each of our partners at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has more than 25 years of experience. Our firm has been awarded membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and rated “Superb” by Avvo. Call us at (609) 240-0040 to get big firm experience with personalized, small firm attention on your side in your bicycle accident case.
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.