New Jersey Winter Weather Public Transportation Accident Attorneys
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
The holidays are upon us, and with it, the winter weather we know so well on the East Coast. While we all would like to spend the year’s chilly months inside by the fireplace, most of us still have to brave the elements to go to work, shop, or take the kids to school.
Each year, the presence of ice and snow increases accident injury rates, including traffic accidents and slip and fall accidents. While using public transportation frees you from driving in winter weather, you are still at risk for winter-related injuries.
If you have been injured while using public transportation, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. The experienced NJ auto accident lawyers at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. have successfully represented injury victims since 2000.
To find out more about your legal rights and options, call our offices at (609) 240-0040 for a free, comprehensive consultation.
Request Your Free Police Report
Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., is happy to assist you with getting your crash report at no cost. Visit our police report request page and fill out our form. We'll take care of the rest.
According to the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), more than 30 million people ride buses, trolleys, trains, ferries, and subways each day. The number of public transit passengers makes accident injuries inevitability. While public transportation designers and employees can't prevent all accidents, they have a duty to perform the tasks needed to keep the public safe. In the winter months, this can include:
- Making sure operators are trained and experienced enough to safely operate their vehicles in adverse weather conditions.
- Making sure vehicles are properly maintained for winter conditions (tires are adequate, tracks are ice free, etc.).
- Keeping walkways and stairs snow free, ice free, and dry.
- Making sure all safety features are functioning correctly.
- Providing adequate security (in all seasons).
The APTA lists the following as the three most common causes of passenger injuries on public transportation:
- Collisions with other vehicles or objects: These can include crashes with cars, bridge abutments, traffic signals, and pedestrians. Most of these injuries are due to passengers being thrown from their seats or falling down during the collision.
- Criminal acts of others: This can include assaults, muggings, etc.
- Slipping and falling: As with collisions, the occurrence of slip and fall injuries increases in the winter.
If you are in an accident involving public transportation, your attorney will need to prove negligence for you to have a successful personal injury claim. To help your legal team, it is a good idea to gather the following evidence:
- Photographs of the scene of your injury at the time the injury happened. You want to include photos of wet floors, non-functioning safety devices, etc.
- Witness statements from people who saw your accident.
- Incident reports from police, first responders, and transit staff.
- Weather reports from the date of your injury.
The most important action you need to take following a public transportation injury is to consult a personal injury attorney. The experienced NJ winter weather auto accident lawyers at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. have represented injury victims for over 25 years. We charge no fees unless we recover compensation in your case.
For a free, comprehensive consultation, call us at (609) 240-0040. Se habla Español.
- Snow Safety: Surviving the New Jersey Winter
- Watch Your Step on New Jersey Transit This Winter
- Do You Know How the Weather Affects New Jersey Roads?
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.