New Jersey Stop Sign Crash Lawyers
Proudly serving all of New Jersey
Drivers legally have to come to a complete stop and yield the right of way at any posted stop sign or red light. Stop signs and red lights are designed to manage traffic and keep drivers and pedestrians safe. While most motorists follow posted stop signs and red lights, there are others who drive through the signs and cause accidents. These negligent and reckless drivers put not only themselves, but everyone around them in danger with their actions.
Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has helped many people who've been injured in stop sign car accidents and secured millions in settlements for our clients. Contact us today to learn how we can help you. We can be reached at (609) 240-0040.
Stop Sign Car Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- $900,000 Settlement - Tow Truck Operator Injured in Intersection Accident When Driver Disregards Stop Sign
- $375,000 Settlement - Victim Hit at Intersection by Negligent Driver in Pequannock Township
Click here for more verdicts and settlements.
According to New Jersey legal code 39:4-120.9, all drivers MUST stop to obey all official stop signs and red lights designated to control the flow of traffic and keep drivers and pedestrians safe. In New Jersey, it is NOT illegal to deliberately enter an intersection to drive through a yellow light. As long as a vehicle entered the intersection before the light has turned red, no law has been broken. Your New Jersey car accident attorney will be able to investigate whether the driver involved in your accident adhered to these rules.
According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHA), there are about 70,000 accidents each year caused by drivers running stop signs.
The FHA reports that nearly half of all car accidents take place at intersections, with the cause usually being a driver running through a stop sign or red light. Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has handled many stop sign accidents over the years. Here are the most common causes of these accidents:
- Distracted Driving: drivers on their phone have become one of the most common stop sign accident causes in recent years.
- Inattention: drivers not paying attention to the road and traffic signals commonly cause accidents by entering intersections.
- Drivers at "All Way" Stop Signs: this a common accident cause; because of not understanding road right of way rules, inattention, or impatient driving, multiple cars entering an intersection at once can cause serious accidents.
- Obstructed Signs: in some instances, the driver doesn't come to a complete stop because the stop sign was blocked by trees, bushes, other cars, or other obstuctions.
- Weather Conditions: icy or rainy conditions might make coming to a complete stop difficult, or the conditions can obscure the driver's view of signs.
To build a successful stop sign car accident lawsuit, you'll need to prove that the driver who struck you was responsible for your accident. To do this you'll need:
- Police Reports: after your accident, be sure to contact local law enforcement and get a copy of their report of your accident.
- Intersection Camera Footage: at most busy city intersections, cameras are installed to monitor traffic. Your attorney will be able to secure footage from the camera at your accident scene.
- Witnesses: besides the intersection camera footage, the best evidence you can have is eyewitnesses to the scene. Statements from witnesses to the accident can be incredibly effective in proving fault for your accident.
Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C. has helped many people injured in stop sign car accidents. We have been able to help clients get compensation they needed for medical bills, lost wages, lost future wages if you can't immediately return to work, and pain and suffering. Call us today at (609) 240-0040 to discuss your next steps.
- New Jersey Stop Sign Accidents
- Analysis of Motor-Vehicle Crashes at Stop Signs in Four US Cities
- Many Stop Sign Crashes Occur when Drivers Stop But Fail to Yield
Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help
Submit the following form for a Free Consultation and we will contact you as soon as possible.